and Criminology & Law
College of Liberal
Arts & Sciences
P.O. Box 117330
FAX: (352) 392-6568
Gainesville, FL 32611-7330
- Gender, Childlessness, and Singlehood over the Life Course
- Marriage, Families, and Fertility
- Social Demography
- Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- Families, Aging and the Life Course in the U.S. and Europe
- Mental and Physical Health, Cultural Competence in Health Care, Caregiving
to Marriage and Families (SYG 2430)
- U.S. Population Issues
- European Population Issues (SYA 4930/EUS 4930)
- American Families (SYO 4102/AFA 3930)
- Understanding People and Data (IDS 4930) -- General Education Grand Challenge course
with David Miller (College of Education), Nicole Stedman (IFAS), Norm
Lewis (Journalism), Michael Martinez (CLAS, Political Science)
- Topics in Family Research (SYO 6175) -- Spring 2015
- Gender and
Aging (SYA 7933) -- Spring 2012
- Families, Aging,
and the Life Course (SYA 7933)
- American Families (SYA 6107)
Justin, Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox, and Christa L. Arnold. 2013.
"“Exploring Dyadic Concordance in Physician-Patient Dyads Using a Paired Survey Approach.” Health Education and Behavior, 40, 603-611.
Alin M., and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2012. "Should International
Migration Be Encouraged to Offset Population Aging? A Cross-Country
Analysies of Public Attitudes in Europe." Population Research and Policy Review, 31, 261-284.
Yoshimi Kataoka, Takashi Fukino,Tanya
Koropeckyj-Cox, and Zeynep «opur. 2011. “Discussion on an International Comparative Study on the
Structure of Attitudes toward Gender Role Norms.” Published in Japanese in Journal
of Socio-Cultural Studies: Memoirs of Faculty of Law and Literature,
Shimane University, vol.7, March 2011.
and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2010. "University
Students’ Perceptions of
and Parents in Ankara,
Turkey." Journal of Family Issues, 31, 1481–1506.
- Bures, Regina, Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox, and Michael Loree.
2009. “Definitions of
Childlessness and Psychosocial Well-Being.” Journal of Family Issues, 30,
- Glicksman, Allen, and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 2009.
for Understanding Religion and Ethnicity." The Gerontologist, 49, 816-827.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 2008. "Singlehood." In Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human
Development, edited by Deborah S. Carr (Editor-in-chief), Amy
Pienta (volume editor). Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson/Gale. Volume 3,
Tanya. 2008. "Loneliness in Later
Life." In Encyclopedia of the
Life Course and Human Development, edited by Deborah S. Carr
Pienta (volume editor). Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson/Gale.
Volume 3, pp. 229-232.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya,
William Jawde, and Deeb-Paul Kitchen. 2008. "Community
of University Performing
Arts Presenters and
and Works in Progress:
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya and Gretchen Pendell. 2007. “The
in Attitudes about Childlessness in the United States.” Journal of Marriage
and Family 69, 899-915.
- Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox and Gretchen Pendell. 2007. “Attitudes
Childlessness in the United States: Correlates of Positive, Neutral,
Negative Responses." Journal
of Family Issues 28, 1054-1082.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, and Vaughn Call. 2007.
Childless Older Persons and Parents: Cross-National Comparisons.”
Journal of Family
Issues, 28, 1362-1414. Special Issue entitled, "Childless
Older Adults: Cross
National Comparisons." Pearl Dykstra and Gunhild Hagestad
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Amy Mehraban Pienta, and Tyson H. Brown.
2007. “Women of the 1950s and the “Normative” Life Course: The
Implications of Childlessness, Fertility Timing, and Marital Status for
Psychosocial Well-Being in Late Midlife.” International Journal of Aging and Human
Development, 64, 299-330.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya,
Victor Romano, and Amanda Moras. 2007. “Through the Lenses of Gender,
Race, and Class: Students’ Perceptions of Childless/Childfree
Individuals and Couples.” Sex Roles,
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Colleen Cain, and Justin Coran.
2005. “Small Group Learning and Hypothetical Families in a Large
Introductory Course. Marriage and
Family Review, 38, 21-39.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 2005. “Singles, Society, and Science:
Sociological Perspectives.” Psychological
Inquiry, 16, 91-97.
- Peek, Chuck W., Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox, Barbara A. Zsembik, and Ray
T. Coward. 2004. “Race Comparisons of the Household
of Older Adults.” Research on
Aging, 26, 179-201.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 2002. “Beyond Parental Status:
Psychological Well-Being in Middle and Old Age.” Journal of Marriage and Family, 64,
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 2002. “Three Men’s
Perspectives on Marriage and Childlessness.” In Ways of Aging, Jaber Gubrium and
James Holstein (editors), Blackwell Publishers.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. 1998. "Loneliness and
Depression in Middle and Old Age: Are the Childless More
Vulnerable?" Journal of
Gerontology: Social Sciences, 53B, S302-S312.
- Glicksman, Allen and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. 1997.
"Gender, Class, and the Construction of Jewish Identity Among the
American Jewish Aged." In A Portrait
of American Jewry: 1990. David Gordis (editor). Behrman
- Smith, Herbert L., S. Philip Morgan, and Tanya
Koropeckyj-Cox. 1996. "A Decomposition of Trends in the
Nonmarital Fertility Ratios of Blacks and Whites in the United States,
1960-1992." Demography, 33,
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, and Zeynep Copur. "Atitudes About
Childlessness and Infertility Treatments: A Comparison of Turkish and
American University Students." Presented at the Annual Meetings of the Southern Sociological Society. In review.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Victor Romano, and
“College Students' Perceptions of Couples Who Are Childless, Childfree,
Tanya, Zeynep Copur, and Alin M. Ceobanu. "Attitudes about
childlessness: Cross national comparisons and methodological
observations." Presented at the European Population
Conference, Vienna Austria, September 2010.
Hunhui, Monika Ardelt, and Tanya Koropeckyj-Cox. "Social support
network changes and their effects on adaptation and mental health." In
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, and Allen Glicksman. "Religious Practice,
Beliefs, and Identity among Older Jewish Americans." Presented at the
Annual Meetings of the Gerontological Society of America, National
Harbor, MD, November 2008.
- Copur, Zeynep, and Tanya
Koropeckyj-Cox. "Turkish and American University Students' Perceptions
of Childless Adults and Parents." In preparation.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, and Zeynep Copur. "Turkish and
American University Students' Attitudes about Marriage, Family, and
Gender." In preparation.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya, Constance Shehan, & Danielle Dirks.
“Appearance Scripts, Beauty Discourse, and Body Changes among
Middle-Aged Women.“ In revision.
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. “Changing Meanings and Implications
of Childlessness Over the Life Course.”
- Koropeckyj-Cox, Tanya. “Childless Adults in Midlife: Exploring
Correlates and Implications.” Invited presentation at the
semiannual meeting of the MIDUS II work group, University of Wisconsin,
Madison, WI. September 14, 2005.
- Center for European Studies Faculty Travel Award, University of Florida, Fall 2010.
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Faculty Travel Award, University of Florida, Fall 2010.
- Sabbatical Award, Fall 2010.
- Principal Invesitigator: “Childless Adults in Mid-Life: Life
Paths, Attitudes, and Psychological Well-Being.” Research Award,
Midlife in the United States (MIDUS) Pilot Grant Program.
Sub-contract from Rutgers University, funded by NIA. December
- June 2006. $15,000.
- Principal Investigator: “Never Married Adults in Middle and Late
Life.” Research Award, Anthony Marchionne Foundation. Susan
Bluck (Co-PI). May 2003 - August 2004. $25,000 direct costs.
- Co-Principal Investigator. “The Consequences of Earlier
Life Experiences for Older Adult Well-Being.” Provost Opportunity
Fund Award, University of Florida. Amy Pienta,
PI. May 2002 - May 2003. $25,000 direct costs.
Activities and Affiliations:
- 1998 Ph.D., Demography and Sociology,
University of Pennsylvania. Dissertation: "The Conditional Benefits of
Parenthood (and Childlessness) for Subjective Well-Being in Older
- 1994 M.A., Demography, University of
Pennsylvania. Thesis: The Social Consequences of Childlessness in
Middle and Old Age.
- 1988 B.A., Biological Basis of Behavior,
University of Pennsylvania.
- Undergraduate Coordinator, Department of Sociology and Criminology & Law, University of Florida, 2012-2013.
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Nominations Committee, 2009-2011.
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Curriculum Committee, 2011-2013.
- University of Florida, General Education Committee, 2013-2016.
- Deputy Editior,
Journal of Family Issues.
- Manuscript Reviewer: Journal
of Marriage and Family,
American Sociological Review,
Demography, Social Forces, Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, International
Journal of Aging and Human
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Journal of
Cross-Cultural Gerontology, Canadian Studies in Population, Journal of
Health and Social Behavior, Women's
Health International, Sex Roles, Gender & Society, Journal of
Research, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, European
Sociological Review, Population Research and Policy Review, Journal of
Comparative Family Studies, Social Biology, Canadian Journal on Aging.
- Ad hoc proposal reviewer, National Institutes of Health.
- Gerontological Society of America, Richard Kalish Award Committee.
- Program Committee, Southern Sociological Society, 2010.
- Affiliate Faculty, Center for Women’s Studies and Gender
Research, University of Florida.
- Affiliate Faculty, Center for European Studies, University of
- Faculty Mentor, NIA Pre-Doctoral Training Grant Program,
University of Florida.
American Sociological Association, Population
Association of America, Gerontological Society of America,
Council on Family Relations, Southern Sociological Society, Eastern
Sociological Society, European Association for Population Studies.
- NIA Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Demography of Aging, Bloomberg
School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 1998-2000.
- Henry A. Murray Dissertation Award from the Henry A. Murray
Research Center, Radcliffe College, Harvard University, 1996-1997.
- Dissertation Fellowship, School of Arts and Sciences, University
of Pennsylvania, 1996-97.
- Dissertation Fellowship, Boettner Institute for Financial
Gerontology, Univ. of Pennsylvania, 1995-96.
- Pre-Doctoral Student Research Award, Behavioral and Social
Science Section, Gerontological Society of America, 1994.
- NIA Pre-Doctoral Training Fellowship, Sociology and Demography,
University of Pennsylvania. 1992-1994.
| Go Back to the Top |