Email: sdrd at ufl dot edu
Phone: (352) 273-1808
Office: 330A Griffin-Floyd Hall
Office hours (Fall 2017): Tuesdays, 2:00-4:00pm, and by appointment
I'm an associate professor of philosophy at the University of Florida. My research focuses on early modern European philosophy, in particular on the history of discussions of materialism. The project began by looking at the materialist philosophy of Thomas Hobbes, and the reactions of other modern philosophers to Hobbes's views. As the project has developed, I've been looking more at Leibniz's criticisms of materialism, and at the work of other early modern materialists, such as John Toland and Margaret Cavendish.
I am also the department's graduate co-ordinator. You can find information about our PhD and MA programs here, and information about how to apply here. If you have any questions, please email me.
- "Hobbes on Language: Propositions, Truth, and Absurdity", in A.P. Martinich and K. Hoekstra (ed.), Oxford Handbook of Hobbes (Oxford University Press, 2016)
- "Leibniz on the Expression of God", Ergo 2: 83-103. 2015
- Debates in Modern Philosophy: Essential Readings and Contemporary Responses (Routledge, 2013), edited with Antonia LoLordo.
- "Leibniz's Mill Arguments Against Materialism", Philosophical Quarterly 62 (247):250-72. 2012
- "Debating Materialism: Cavendish, Hobbes, and More", History of Philosophy Quarterly 29 (4):391-409. 2012
For a complete list of publications, see my publications page.